"There has never been a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit my tastes."
Amen, Clive Staples. I love it!
For the love of books and tea, I am dearly excited that we are beginning our "Five in A Row" preschool curriculum this week. Crisp new picture books line the shelves in our school room, waiting to be opened - one a week -as we explore the world through literature.
Mondays - Social Studies.
Tuesdays - Art
Wednesdays - Language Arts and Bible
Fridays - Science and Math.
All based on fun, beautifully illustrated children's literature. Thursdays we are taking off for adventure and friends - so I guess we are really doing Four In A Row. :) It's a fabulous program, and I am really excited! We read the same book each day and then follow it with lessons and projects that are drawn from the story. If you want to check it out, visit fiveinarow.com. We will also be supplementing this simple curriculum with a basic Pre-K phonics lesson for Elisa. That curriculum is from Winter Promise, another home-school company with great, literature based lessons.
First day of school - impish little Sadie-girl
Elisa Joy
My precious tagalong
Why do we want to homeschool? Obviously, a love of books is a strong pull for me. I want my kids to love learning as they discover life in story form. I love the idea of teaching history through narrative, living books, rather than textbooks. There are, however, many more important reasons. :) I am a little bit tentative to share our thoughts because I don't want to sound as though I believe the path we are choosing is the only "right" one. We certainly know many godly families who have evaluated the same factors and made different choices about how to school their little ones. We think homeschooling is the clear path God is setting before us as a family - but we know He leads others differently. That said:
- We want our teaching - and our kids' learning - to be centered around Biblical truth. The truth that math exists because God created order and logic. That the world is full of scientific miracles because God is marvelously creative. That every question and situation throughout history highlights sin and fallen man's need for a Savior.
- We want to be the primary influences in our girls' hearts. We feel strongly that a big part of our role as parents is to protect the hearts of our children from ungodly influences. They don't need - as young children - to be in the world. Their little hearts and minds are still soft and impressionable, and we as their parents want to be the ones shaping their worldview and instilling Biblical values. And then, as they grow older, we pray the Holy Spirit will draw them into a saving faith.
- We believe God calls parents to be teachers. Deuteronomy 6 is clear that we need to be speaking to our children of the things of the Lord, day in and day out - when they rise up and when they lie down. Certainly we can do that even if our kids are in school during the day, but the time is more limited.
- We want our family relationships to be the most important relationships our kids have. We want our daughters to be best friends. While they absolutely have other social interaction and grow friendships outside of our home, sisters need to come first.
Developing my own love of books - I have been building a list of "must-reads." I am going to post it for two reasons. One -to suggest birthday gifts for my upcoming 30th birthday. :) Hee hee. Two - because I keep losing the handwritten list and I don't want to forget!
John MacArthur - A Simple Christianity (I already have this one)
Farley - Gospel-Powered Parenting
Joshua Harris - Dug Down Deep
Leslie Ludy - The Lost Art of True Beauty
Paul David Tripp - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hand (I can borrow this one)
Martha Peace - An Excellent Wife and A Faithful Parent
Dave Harvey - When Sinners Say I Do
Younts - Easy Talk
Clarkson - Educating the Whole-Hearted Child
Grubb - Rees Howells: Intercessor
Tedd Tripp - Instructing A Child's Heart
I know I am a little silly - but every time I read one book, I find a handful of others that sound interesting in that author's notes. So - I had to make and then narrow a list. :)
Maybe I need another bookshelf.
2 comments:
Colleen, I love your reasons for wanting to home school, and they echo my own. Its the same reason I teach - because not everyone has parents who are trying to influence their kids for God. I am proud of you for making that choice, and know your girls will be blessed by it! I love you and miss you and can't believe you are turning 30. It seems just yesterday you were living in Seattle and I got to drive up and visit you on the weekends. Where did the time go?
Thank you for sharing heart with us. I know how blessed your family is with you for Mama but they will certainly grow as Godly young women as you guide them through their first years of school. I love all the pictures, too. Raina is changing so much. Such a precious munchkin. I love you and miss you alot.
Post a Comment