Thursday, August 5, 2010

Elisa's First Report Card... and other Summertime Fun

It's cliche and redundant... but it's true. Time flies! And time with the third baby especially flies in comparison with the first and second. I can hardly believe my sweet little Raina is five months old. I want to hold tightly to this fistful of precious moments... but they are still passing me by. My Raina-girl weighs about 15 pounds. She rolls back and forth from tummy to back to tummy. She sits with help. She sleeps twelve hours at night and eats five times a day. She laughs - contagiously. She puts up with constant, in-her-face attention from two big sisters. And she brings us joy every moment of the day.

Many have asked me whether the transition to three has been easier or more difficult than the transition to two. Erik and I give different answers. :) I know that I rely on his help more than I did when it was just Elisa and Sadie. So, for him, the transition has been more hands-on, more intense. For me, in the day-to-day, it has been simpler. Instead of trying to entertain the older one while feeding the baby, I am settling squabbles from my rocking chair. Raina is a happy, schlepped along little munchkin. She just gets tucked in my arms and we follow the big kids through their routines. I am so thankful that my beautiful girl has also proven sweetly unflappable.

It is interesting how you adapt as a mother through the years. Hopefully that adaptation is growth and maturity and not backsliding. :) I remember being pregnant with Ellie and just thinking that I would know everything instinctually. I was so thrilled to be bearing life, and it all seemed natural and easy... until I brought her home and realized how many simple decisions you have to make daily, and how those small choices add up to a sort of backbone philosophy or method that becomes the new framework for every future choice. In many ways, each new child has been "easier," simply because that gentle framework and mission is already in place, and I find myself stressing far less over the unimportant details as I allow myself to simply love my little ones by God's grace.

We have been busy -- hosting family, enjoying the sunshine, swim class, camping trips, bike rides... It seems surreal that it is now August and I am starting to plan for fall. :) Trying to enjoy each blessed moment.


Elisa swimming. Isn't she big? Her "report card" from today, the last day, was filled with Es and Gs. (Excellent and Good) She is clear to move up to the next level - from Guppies to Polliwogs. Anyone know what a Polliwog is?

I was so proud of her. She learned so much!

A June tea party with a lot of frilly little ladies.

A group date to the shooting range. I shot only once. Not my cup of tea, or Becca's (on the right). But Dancy grew up in Texas and took shooting lessons. She even showed up the guys. :)

Camping up the Buffalo Fork.





With Nana at Jackson Lake

No comments: