Thursday, April 2, 2009

Heartbreak


Jeff, Heidi and Landry Gaertner, canoeing last summer on our shallow pond with Elisa

On Tuesday night, Erik and I received word from our pastor that our youth minister and dear friend Jeff Gaertner had been killed in a tragic car accident. Jeff and Heidi moved to Jackson in September of 2007, and became our neighbors after Mom moved to Oregon. We were so privileged to live beside them for six months, until the church purchased a parsonage for their family. We are also blessed to share life with Jeff, Heidi, Dawson and Landry through our small group. Jeff was one of those youth pastors who becomes a second dad to the kids he serves. He was passionate, zealous, on-fire for the Lord. He was an exhorter who always challenged our church body to live our faith boldly and love one another without fear. He was vibrant - and, by his admission - radical for furthering God's kingdom here on earth. Jeff had taken a group of Oregon and Wyoming youth into the backcountry of Wallowa County, OR for a men's "survivor" discipleship weekend. On the way home, his truck, carrying six of the young men, backslid on muddy roads over a 350 foot cliff. One of the boys is still in intensive care with head injuries. The others are stable.

Erik and I - and all of First Baptist Church, and so many others who knew and loved this awesome man of God - are reeling from the shock. It's so hard to understand! Please pray for sweet Heidi and their beautiful red-headed kids. I spoke briefly with her on the phone today; they are in Oregon with her family. She is courageous, and her faith is strong. I just hurt so badly for my friend. She asked specifically for prayers to balance her need to grieve in front of and with the kids (ages 8 and 6), with the need to be strong for them so they will not be afraid or feel they have no one to take care of them. Erik and I are driving to Oregon to attend a memorial service there this weekend.

I'm glad to know you prayer warriors will lift up the Gaertners; that we don't have to know members of the Body in order to share their burdens.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ug. I'm so sorry.