In the months since reading the book, I have been challenged to constantly seek joy and thankfulness in ALL things -- no matter what I am doing or what the circumstances are. I am not faithful to record gifts daily, but I do write in my journal several times a week -- counting God's graces in the form of all the daily "messes and miracles."
It is amazing how the constant posture of thankfulness changes your outlook on the "grind" of motherhood. I am finding myself filled with simple, overwhelming pleasure in the beauty of small tasks... in things like warm laundry to fold, and dishes to scour in sudsy water, in rubbing the small of Raina's back as she tries to relax and go pee-pee in the potty, in measuring out Robitussin to soothe a little one's nighttime cough, in stirring cookie dough and setting out fancy dishes for mid-morning tea, in helping small hands make beds, or reminding a child that the fork goes on the left side of the plate.
The other night the house was quiet. Erik was working on taxes upstairs, and I found myself cleaning the kitchen in nighttime stillness. Hands immersed in soapy water, a broom swept across a crumb-strewn floor, the hum of the dryer tossing its last load. And I just reveled in that! And then to remember moments from a busy day -- listening to my daughter read, doing a joyous "potty-dance," dancing with little girls to loud music...
The act of counting God's gifts really does make thankfulness your first response. I struggle. Of course. I get impatient, or annoyed, and I forget to be thankful for a smoothie that tumbled to the carpet, or a child squabbling - again - over something that so doesn't matter, or the girls destroying their bedroom for the third time in a day, or the pee-pee that didn't go in the potty, or the child that won't go to sleep, or, or, or....
but I am so thankful for the reminder to be thankful and how that is changing my work into worship. If you haven't read the book --- read it! :)
1 comment:
Thank you Leeners, for reminding me to be thankful in all things, too. So many moments and people in my life that are truly gifts to be treasured.
Post a Comment