Saturday, January 28, 2012

Growth in Grace

The other night, I wrote about Elisa's sixth birthday and tried to share a bit about who our oldest daughter is...
I want to always speak kindly of my little ones and be careful not to present them negatively. But I also want to be honest, to show you who they are -- successes and sweetness, struggles and sin. And I want anyone who reads my blog to know that our family is not perfect. :) I don't want you to feel the way I do after I read a stack of Christmas letters... that our family is lacking, that we are the only ones with sinful children, that we are under-achievers in every way. :) So hopefully, you get my uncensored but loving portrayal of our family's life and learning.

One of the things I have prayed through often in the last year is that both our older daughters have "asked Jesus into their hearts." Erik and I have been cautious about this -- not assuming their salvation because of that. We know that saving faith requires genuine repentance, and that true faith manifests itself in a desire to please God. To be honest, we haven't seen that heart change in our sweet little girls. So they take communion as believers, and we speak to them about the Holy Spirit living in their hearts. But, we are careful to also teach them the Gospel over and over and to wait for fruit in their lives.

I feel like lately I am seeing fruit in the heart of my oldest. Last night, we ice skated together as a family, and Elisa grinned happily, twirling around with an old skating dress of mama's OVER the top of her bulging snow pants and coat. She had a terrific attitude. She dropped something on the way inside the house and called over her shoulder, "Mom, can you get that?" Seeing my hands were full, she said, "Oh, I'll get it. Your hands are already too full!" She then hung up all her snow clothes unprompted, and went to change clothes. This morning, Raina-bean was snuggling in our bed (all three girls were) when Raina gagged on snot and threw up all over Erik. (I know, gross!) Elisa went to get her clean jammies, a doll, and a blanket. She entertained her in the steam shower I gave her to help with the mucous, and then made a nest for her on the floor so that Raina could lay comfortably while Elisa made a brown bag puppet for her to play with.

Little things, but I am beginning to see kindness, mercy, and compassion more often. A willingness to serve and help without reward or nagging. Sometimes we see the opposite, too... stomping around while emptying the dishwasher, or complaining about a small task. Yesterday I made her copy Ephesians 6:1 twice in her copybook. She needed the reminder. :)

But I am thankful to see growth in grace in my little ones. That's precious!

No comments: