Yesterday I visited the doctor to check on this 28 1/2 week-old bump in my belly! We continue to rejoice that this baby is healthy and growing... I didn't take a picture, but I do think I am quite obviously pregnant now. I just carry differently than most pregnant mommies... long and high through my torso instead of in a compact bump that "pops" out earlier during the pregnancy.
I didn't catch the baby's heart rate. The girls were with me, and I was busy explaining to them the miracle of hearing the baby's heart beat inside me. They were duly impressed, but I didn't catch the numbers. :) I measure 26 centimeters... which is fine. I have always measured a few centimeters shy of normal, and my doctor won't be concerned unless I fall to 3 or 4 centimeters smaller than I should be. With Sadie, they did do a few extra ultrasounds near the end because I was measuring too far behind schedule, so he warned me that might the case this time, too. I think it's just the way I carry, because both girls were over 7 pounds.
I have been feeling well and enjoying getting out for some cold weather jogs -- something that never really felt good with the girls, and now does. Erik told me that with the extra exercise, I need to be making sure I cover the calories, so he "prescribed" a glass of egg nog a day. When I told my doctor that, he said, "You should probably have two."
Okay. I love egg nog. However, I don't care to feed my sweet baby any of the high fructose corn syrup, food coloring, or long list of additives and preservatives in the commercial kind, so I make my own. It is delicious! The girls call it a "milkshake" and the three of us sit down for a healthy, protein packed snack after our jog.
Here is the recipe: (this is exactly enough for the three of us to share)
2 cups of whole milk
3 egg yolks
splash of vanilla or rum extract
1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
teaspoon or so of cinnamon and nutmeg (I don't measure those)
Blend in blender on high for about 5 seconds.
I am not concerned about raw eggs, and I love sharing this with the girls as it provides them calcium, protein, and a "treat" (without any refined sugar!).
We have also been enjoying evenings on our frozen pond. We purchased some inexpensive skates for Erik and Elisa, and Erik fashioned a homemade Zamboni out of the riding lawn mower. Elisa is getting competent on her two-blade skates, and Sadie like to either putter in her boots or sit in a chair while one of us spins her. My old competition skates are a bit small, but I can still squeeze in to glide around the ice. I did one very cautious waltz jump the other night. :) I usually swap for boots halfway through and play goalie while Erik hurls pucks at me. I can usually only block about 1 of every 5 shots. I am pretty slow and careful.
We are having lots of fun making homemade ornaments for our little Advent tree each day, and continuing to bake Christmas goodies to share. This special season is definitely going quickly, but we are looking forward to heading to Oregon next Wednesday night.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think you should double your recipe and you drink the remainder! :) Glad you are feeling well and can't wait to see you in a little over a week!
Post a Comment