Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

Erik and I were able to host a group of friends (21 - counting children!) at our home on Thanksgiving Day. We were up early for a breakfast of whole grain gingerbread pancakes (delicious) and began preparations. The 20-lb turkey was in the oven by 9:00, and an array of other food had been prepared the day before. We arranged our dining table and a borrowed folding table side by side and carefully arranged place settings, including some little place-cards the girls and I had made earlier in the week. My mom had sent a beautiful centerpiece, and I loved the way the dining room looked before 11 little girls descended on it. :)

When the morning's work was done, Erik and I bundled the girls up for a run. They snuggled in for early and short naps, and then our friends arrived at about 1:30. We had a wonderful time of eating, sharing thanks, having a brief time of worship and hymns, and the boys even played football outside while the mommies cleaned up the kitchen. We felt blessed to have so many friends to share the holiday with!



The rest of our weekend included shoveling the pond to play hockey (Elisa is a pretty good puck-handler),



and taking a spur of the moment day trip to West Yellowstone to cross country ski. We left at 6:00 AM, arrived at 9:00, and skied from 10:00 until 5:00 - with an hour break for a picnic lunch at the car. Elisa tried her new (used) skis out for the first time. The expression of mixed determination and exhilaration on her face was priceless. She loved it, and wants to ski every day once "God gives us more snow in the yard." It was hard to get her back in the Chariot to let Erik and I ski for a few hours! She skied three times, each for about half an hour. I think Sadie will be ready to join her next year. It's amazing how easily little ones pick up new things. They don't worry about looking awkward or falling - they just do it!





On Sunday, we loaded the kids up again and headed out to the woods to chop down our Christmas tree. We found a tree quickly and tried to interest kiddos in sledding. They both took one run with Daddy, but the snow is not deep enough for a soft ride, so no one wanted a second turn. We returned home and shared some turkey barley soup with friends. We had a fabulous weekend as a family -- but this little baby and I are tired! :)

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a lovely and packed weekend you had. I am also thankful that you were able to share Thanksgiving with so many!

I love the pictures - I wish I could see Elisa on Skis! Someday....

Kristen Wachob said...

Yay! Another blog for the month of November...you were on it!! Your day sounded wonderful;) Glad you were blessed with so many at your table!

Just wondering about that gingerbread pancake recipe....perhaps you can email it my way?! :)

Love you!