On Christmas Eve, we put the littles in their jammies and drove through a snowstorm to the candlelight service. As always, the carols, soft-lighting, and hushed reverence brought a quiet expectancy to our hearts. Erik and I stayed up late... I had to toss my first Poteca bread and start over at 9:30 PM, which meant I pulled it from the oven just before midnight. :) Christmas morning came and the snow continued as we opened stockings and shared breakfast of Poteca bread and grapefruit (combining our family traditions). It was fun to watch the girls open gifts. We loved receiving so many thoughtful handmade items - a skirt sewn by my mom, aprons from Aunt Fay, a tablecloth from Amy... many of my family were participating in Advent Conspiracy with their churches, and it was neat to see the fruits of that.
Snow, snow and more snow! Our plow truck came at noon, and we shared cookies with him (poor guy). Snow at an inch an hour made a mess of the mountain traverses, meaning Erik's family could not arrive as scheduled. His parents would up flying into Bozeman, MT, and driving to meet Adam and Kristen in Idaho Falls where the four of them were then stranded until midday on the 26th. We ended up having a quiet Christmas Day at home, then being spontaneously invited to share dinner with friends the Willcoxes.
When our eagerly anticipated guests arrived, we shared a delicious meal - my first solo efforts at a holiday dinner. I used a recipe Mom learned in a long-ago cooking class, one that included lighting brandy on fire! :) The pork-loin turned out really well, and it was such a blessing to relax and celebrate Christmas with our family. We instituted a new tradition for us - a family time of worship and singing after dinner. That was probably one of my favorite memories of the week.
On Saturday, Kristen and Becky came with me to pick up Michelle from the airport in IF. Then, because all of us enjoy Thai food, we picked up take-out from the three local Thai restaurants and conducted a very serious taste test. The winner: ?? I can't remember. I think the chilled Henry Weinhardts was actually the top-rated food item. :)
Sunday we enjoyed a sleigh ride on the Elk Refuge. The horse drawn sleighs take you right into the middle of the grazing elk herds. Doug is a wildlife biologist, and it was particularly fun to hear his insights. Sadie slept snuggled on my chest as the wind howled around us.
Erik - pulling babies on skis! Both girls are fast asleep in this picture.
We are laying the snow. Sadie loves the Baby Beco carrier we bought to replace our worn-out Snuggli. She sleeps like a champ and stays so warm and cozy!
Michelle, flopping in the snow!
Adam and Erik - skate skiing with Elisa
Grandpa Doug taking his turn carrying the munchkin
On board the sleigh at the Elk Refuge
Peek-a-boo! I'm cute and I know it!
Our tree on Christmas morning
Snow angels
Sledding adventures with Daddy
Monday took us by snowmobile and ski to Granite Hot Springs. Michelle wrote a terrific post about this trip on her blog, so I won't duplicate it. But such a fun and memorable day. The kids were amazing troopers - sleeping in baby carriers, coping with layers and layers of clothes....
We spent the next couple days quietly recuperating and giving Doug and Becky a chance to visit with friends. We all collaborated on a New Year's Eve coconut shrimp feast and rang in the New Year by actually staying up until midnight!
Doug and Becky returned to Alaska on Thursday. :( Michelle and I took the girls snow-shoeing on Friday, and on Saturday we all went cross-country skiing in the park.... testing out our wonderful new Chariot transport system.
What a wonderful week of memories. We just wish we could have somehow transported Mom, Amy, Forrest, Ephraim, and Ryan here, as well. You were missed, guys! As Elisa said, "I'm so sad. No one is here now!"
3 comments:
So much fun with so many people! I wish we could have all been there together too. Someday - oh yeah in July for a wedding!
Elisa and Sadie look more and more alike everyday! Wonderful memories - new traditions-adventures with family. I believe your Christmas was wonderful. I love the pictures! but I especially love all of you.
Moms:)
Thanks for the great update! The pictures are fantastic. Can't wait to see ya'll!
In the last photo Elisa and Sadie could be the exact same person. They are way too cute! I wish we could have been there!
Post a Comment