Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wild West Adventures

The past two weekends have found the Wachob family sharing adventures... First, Erik's brother and sister-in-law to-be came to visit on their trek east to Georgia. We had a wonderful time hosting them and getting to throw a bridal shower for Kristen's friends. On Saturday, the six of us set off a camping adventure. We loaded the car with canoes and camping gear and rowed placidly through the Oxbow Bend in the park. The girls were lathered with sunscreen and topped with sun hats... the sun was warm and bright... it was beautiful! Sadie fussed against her life jacket and finally fell asleep about twenty minutes from the landing. I tried to ever-so-carefully step out of our rickety old canoe without awaking her, but slipped in the mud and fell into several feet of cold river water. Sadie woke up screaming as her little body plunged into the water. Oh, I felt so bad! She dried off quickly, and we found a secluded - and mosquito infested - campsite up Pacific Creek. Our tent was set up quickly and my weary girl fell right asleep on a pad on the floor. Our friends the Tolsons joined us for a Dutch oven supper and campfire, then headed home while we crammed five Wachobs and an almost Wachob in our tent. The girls slept well and we shared a hearty breakfast before heading home for showers and naps in the early afternoon.



Sadie in the sunshine!

Hosting a shower for Kristen, Adam's bride-to-be, the day before camping.



Then, this past weekend, Adam's bachelor party was planned in Fort Collins, CO, our old home. So the girls and I tagged along for the ride, eager to see some old friends. It was a long drive, and poor Sadie just can't seem to sleep in the car... but they were troopers! We stayed at our friends Scott and Jebeke's home and Elisa had a great time playing with Hosannah and Hadie - who are 3 1/2 and 14 months. Hosannah and Elisa enjoyed a few home fireworks before simultaneously burning their fingers on sparklers. Yikes! Two screaming toddlers, two white blistered index fingers. We also got to see Erin and Karl Wolfswinkel, our dear friends who are just weeks away from welcoming their first child into the world, and Erik played a rowdy round of paintball with the boys to usher Adam into his nuptial season. :) Elisa, Sadie, Hosie and Hadie all took a bath together. Jebeke has pictures and I will have to post some later on as they are so cute!

On the way home, our trusty Tahoe broke down in beautiful Rock Springs, WY (read with a tang of sarcasm). We spent the night at an overpriced Best Western and were thankful to find a mechanic who could replace the fuel pump the next day. Things went smoothly.... Sadie had a nice morning nap in the hotel room, and Elisa slept briefly before we had to wake her up to check out of our room. Then we trekked four blocks on foot with suitcases in tow, and had a lunch of PB and J in the dealership's lobby. We walked about a mile while Sadie slept in my arms and found a city park that even had a free community pool! We didn't have our swimsuits with us, but let Elisa splash, fully dressed, and cool off. Truly, God was caring for us in this mishap. We are glad to be home. The girls and I have slept little over the last days and I am thankful for bedrooms and cribs and doors. :)

Hosannah and Elisa



Erin Wolswinkel. Isn't she a beautiful mommy?


Vagabonds in Rock Springs


Flowers in bloom at home!






Also - my friend Melissa and her hubby Nathan had a baby girl on July 3rd. Megan McKenzie Rose Paisley weighed in at 9 lb, 2 oz. She is sweet and we are so happy for them! Children are such gifts from God.

Hope you all had a great Fourth!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have so many comments I don't know where to start! Erin is so darn cute! I am so excited for her - and congrats to Nathan and Melissa. Your two girls are absolutely adorable and I cannot wait to see them in a little over a month! I am glad you had two exciting adventures in two weeks.

Barb said...

OK - if I leave the page open and ignore it, after several minutes the text finally shows up!

I enjoyed reading your essay about the girls. It is so easy to compare and then to cause ourselves to worry if our children seem at a different schedule than the others. Sadie is absolutely beautiful and so content ( most of the time - just not long car rides!) God will use His timing for Sadie.
I love you.