Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Camping, Splashing, and Squishing

Last weekend, the Wachobs decided to venture out on another camping trip - a quick overnight near the trailhead where Erik planned an epic day hike with his friend Ryan. We arrived late and Erik and I ended up laying down in the tent to get the girls to sleep for what ended up being a very restless night. Elisa has recently begun sleeping in panties overnight, and she is worried about wetting her pants... so she cries and fusses to get up multiple times before she'll succumb to sleep. This results in some really late bedtimes, and camping was no exception - even though we offered a pull-up. She is a little pogo-stick at bedtime, up and down and up and down. Her noise wakes up sensitive little Sadie and a vicious cycle of wakefulness begins. That cycle was definitely magnified with all four of us in a tent. But we love being outdoors and waking in the chill of early morning for hot cocoa and a fire... what a blessing to be in God's creation! We camped beside a creek and listened to the trickling giggle of water over rocks... and then Erik had a great hike while the girls and I drove home.


Sadie watching the tent go up.



Elisa, saying "This is my tent!"

Peeking out

A little cozy angel... just before our tiny spitfire reared her wide-awake head.

Ryan... at the plateau he and Erik crossed (they climbed from one side of a mountain to the other - beginning at Flat Creek and ending 12 miles later at Crystal Creek).


At home.... Sadie splashing in the water!



I was trying to capture a close shot of Sadie enjoying the water, but Erik's comment was, "Were you taking a close-up of her deformed finger?" I guess I was. I don't even notice her long middle finger anymore... though I guess I should since I still haven't taken her in for an x-ray.

Elisa - all the way in.



Play-dough! I only had hard wheat berries on hand, no white flour, so I had to grind some wheat to make the play-dough. Pretty funny - and a little on the grainy side. :) Elisa didn't mind. Squish!

Erik and Elisa in the Land-Cruiser. She got to ride with him to the drop-off point at Crystal Creek. She loves riding in the open air.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to blog! I love seeing all the pictures - your precious daughters are growing up so fast. I had forgotten about the water table - I am glad Sadie is getting to use it and I am happy to know that the pool did not blow away completely last winter- it seemed to want to wander a lot. Hugs and Kisses :)

Amy said...

Sadie is getting so big! I can't wait to see you guys in two weeks. You make camping look like fun. I think we should buck up and do it with a 4 month old and a dog. Love you lots!

andy & molly said...

Hey, It is such fun to read your updates on your family. I got on Amy's and Michelle's and got a quick update on them as well. I'm at church doing our laundry so I have 4 loads worth of time to play on the internet and tidy Andy's office, sans children! You're girls are sweet. Reading all of these made me miss you all! Take care...we love you! molly

Becky Wachob said...

Colleen--love it all!! you guys are brave to camp with those beautiful girls. Thanks for the pix--am excited about seeing you in 3 wks. B.