Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Little Miss Raina


It is hard to believe that the baby of our little family is nearing her second birthday (still four months away -- but it goes so quick!). Everyday I am alternately in awe of her growth and her adorable personality - and a bit overwhelmed at the bursts of sometimes sinful determination that she exhibits! Time passes so quickly these days. Our weeks are a flurry of homeschooling, chores, outdoor play and activities. I want to grasp the fleeting moments and hold onto them -- but there also plenty of times when I think eagerly about what the future holds. But - I don't want to forgot all the funny and sweet Raina-isms that delight my mama's heart.

Like - the way she grabs my hand, and says "Come," when she wants my help, or is hoping for a fresh cookie off the baking tray. :)

The way she gives kisses and hugs and says in a way only Erik and I can decipher, "I wuv you!"

The way she will grab my lips and turn my head to ask me to "Ding a dong!"

The way she sits diligently on her little school chair to color (for at least five minutes!).

The way she follows big sisters everywhere and asks for them upon awakening. "Sissy! Sissy!"

The way she sings the ABCs (sort of) while pointing emphatically at the alphabet chart.

The way she says "Running!" and commences to race in circles around the kitchen table.

The way she jumps.

The way she grabs Ziggy the Zebra from the shelf the moment I pull out Sadie's yellow alphabet book.

The way she says 'Here you go," and gives you things.

The way she says "No stink," when I go to check her diaper. Or "Stinky. Change." (Yeah, she wants to be potty trained. Mommy's not ready for that intense endeavor.)

The way she says "Scared," so plaintively and pathetically. (Like when she saw the full body of a dead deer hanging in the garage.)

The way she yells 'Dinna! Weady!" when the older girls and I start setting the table. Or when the oven timer beeps. She likes to eat.

The way she likes to have all three baby dolls in her crib, and they have to have a blanket (a blamie!). And she has to have at least four blankets covering her, too. She's quite demanding about it. Luckily, once everything is properly in place, she goes to sleep within minutes of me closing the door.

The way she loves, loves, loves her Gramma, Grampa and Nana.

The way she always tells her sisters (and even Daddy) that the clothes they have on are "pretty."

The way she will often say "No-no Raina. Spank," and swat her own little hand when I correct her behavior. It makes actual discipline difficult - when your toddler gives her own spankings. :)

I love this stage and all the uprising challenges and gaining of independence. All the new-found vocabulary... all the brave exploration and the wanting to be a part of EVERYTHING.

This third arrow in our quiver of little girls is a charming one, and I love her!

1 comment:

Barb said...

I love this and can't wait to see you all!!!!!!