This quick post is for Heather and Amy - who have both requested this recipe. It is my girls' favorite food, although it is really more of a conglomeration of yummy foods than an actual recipe. I don't measure anything! In case you don't know, quinoa is a tiny, high-protein grain that packs a lot of nutrition. Prepared with some simple additions, it is an awesome side dish for those grilled meat dinners we all love in the summer!
Sautee 1/2 of a diced onion in olive oil or butter.
Add about 2 c. of raw quinoa and quickly coat in oil before adding 3 cups of broth.
Add about 2-3 sliced medium carrots (or a handful of chopped baby ones) and a diced apple. Bring mixture to boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. I like to add a cup of white wine if I have it on hand, or a cup of apple juice. (You need about double the liquid) Add a generous handful of dried cranberries and continue cooking until water is absorbed. Sometimes I need to add more liquid because the quinoa isn't soft. It gets little tails when it is fully cooked. :)
And... serve and eat. Yummy!
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't wait to try this. I love quinoa.
Post a Comment