Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Big Girl

Sadie Pearl - our almost two-year-old - has had a very exciting week! Early last week, we began the adventure of potty-training. I pulled out a package of pretty panties and said, "Sadie wears undies now! Sadie is a big girl. She goes potty in the potty!" We put away the diapers and made a fast transition. The first day was rough, as it seemed she couldn't quite relax on the potty chair, but by Tuesday evening, she was getting the hang of it. She has not had an accident since Friday, and has been going independently for the last two days, meaning she tells Mommy when it is time, rather than Mommy issuing reminders to stay dry every few minutes. I am so proud of her! We still are using our Bum Genius diapers at naps and bedtime, but she is very pleased with her panties, and Mommy is pleased too. So is big sister Elisa, who loved sharing in the prize M and Ms Sadie was earning during the process.

As part of being a big girl, Sadie decided she wanted to sleep in a big girl bed. I wasn't quite ready to make that transition, as Sadie is the easiest child to put down for bed. Literally, she falls asleep within 2 or 3 minutes every time. I wasn't sure how moving to a big girl bed would affect that. But - we decided to grant her wish, and on Sunday, our neighbors gave us a twin bed they had in storage. So we now have a potty-trained princess who no longer sleeps in a crib. Yeah, Sadie!





I love the girls' room. It is an absolute hodge-podge of hand-me-down furniture, and I think it's adorable. And I love the fact that the girls use the comforters Michelle and I had growing up, and that the only item we've purchased for their room is the bookshelf - which I bought for 20$ in college and painted last week with leftover paint from covering my kitchen chairs this summer. Oh, and the toddler rail on Sadie's bed. They love their room, too.




Sadie pulls up her pants by herself after going potty. She can't quite get the pants over her cute little bottom, though. :)

6 comments:

jhjumper said...

Wow, she is getting so big!!! I can't believe she asked you for a big girls bed. Craziness. The room is adorable, but it kind of makes me wish now that I had left the other white bed with you - so it really would be just like our room growing up. Although as I recall, you would never sleep under those comforters because you didn't like flannel. You even have the stenciled dresser! Remember how I begged mom for stencils after we watched Back Home? :) Love you and your whole family.

Amy said...

I love the picture of her buttoning up her pants. How is she sleeping in her big girl bed?

Kristen Wachob said...

WOW!! It has been quite a couple of weeks for Miss Sadie Pearl;) Well done, Sadie!

Thanks for the two posts in one week, Colleen- I feel spoiled;)

Love you!

Andrea said...

Isn't potty training the best??!!

Unknown said...

Wow, your baby is suddenly a big girl. I still have the 14 month old image when we visited!
Good work on the potty training.
MP

Barb said...

I love the pictures! Precious Sadie - now an official "big girl!"