Friday, June 5, 2009

Book Reviews!

During the past month, I have been blessed beyond measure by studying the book of Ruth through a Precepts Bible Study. I have learned so much about the Word of God and how beautifully individual books are woven together in perfect, God-inspired unity. The Bible is an amazing book, and my excitement to study it has grown exponentially in recent weeks.

I have also been thankful to read some rich Christian books and wanted to share my "book reviews" with you. I am learning to seek truth from the true source first, but I am grateful for the insights of Bible-focused Christ-followers who are wiser than I, and much further along in their journeys of faith! I have found myself veering somewhat off of my initial book list as I have grown excited about particular topics.

Because He Loves Me, by Elyse Fitzgerald. This is a wonderful book about how the truth of the Gospel should transform our daily lives. I have been reading and discussing it with my neighbor, Sera, and while we are not quite finished, I have been deeply impacted by her insights on how the Gospel is central to each moment of our lives, and how the way we think about our position as saints can transform our motives, our heart and the practicalities of our day-to-day existence. Christ wants to transform us; His sacrifice is meant not only to save us from eternal death, it is meant to give us new spiritual life!

Practicing Hospitality, by Lisa Tatlock and Pat Ennis. A very practical read about incorporating Biblical hospitality into our lives. This was a challenging and inspiring book for me. We are so blessed to live in a large and welcoming home -- I want us to glorify God in how we use it. Want to come over for dinner? :)

Heaven in the Home, by Ginger Plowman. This was a reread, and it is also wonderful! A balanced book about how to create a Christ-honoring home-life - a haven for our families with the outward focus of serving and ministering to others. She has sections on conflict managment, discipline, creating a daily schedule, keeping your home organized - you name it!

The Love Dare. I finally finished this one! It took me a while to wade through the forty days. I enjoyed reading it, and thought it was a very Christ-honoring book on loving your spouse unconditionally. It made me appreciate the beautiful romance I share with my husband. We have such a blessed marriage, and I love him more each day. I want to love him better, serve him more selflessly, and enjoy him more completely. I don't think Erik reads my blog, but honey, if you read this one, you are my Mr. Marvelous and I am grateful to pour my love into your life. :)

Set-Apart Femininity, by Leslie Ludy. This book was my favorite read in recent years. Leslie portrays a beautiful picture of Godly womanhood -- not an inward-beauty brought about by allowing "self to flash off frame and face," but a Godly beauty brought about by laying down self and allowing Christ to live through you. It is Christ that makes a woman radiant. Leslie's book challenged me and gave me a clear picture of valiant femininity. I long for God to transform my heart and love the lost through me.

The Bravehearted Gospel, by Eric Ludy. I was so inspired by Leslie's book that I decided to read her husband's recent book, as well. This is a book about the "manly stuff" of the Gospel, although he is clear that the truths presented are for men and women alike. It is the "grit" of Godliness - a return to truth and brave-hearted loyalty to Christ. We live in a society and even a church culture that is "emerging" and becoming tolerant to the point of becoming mushy - where truth is personal and "springy," where holiness is a bad word, and where the feminine aspects of allure and tenderness are more valued than the sword of truth that battles for the Kingdom of God. Eric calls for a return to bravehearted Gospel that fights for truth and sets the captives free. Amen!

Holiness, the Heart God Purifies, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. A challenging book about turning from sin and honoring God in every area of our lives. I enjoyed it so much that I invited a group of women from our church to do a book-club meeting studying it at the end of July. Anyone interested?

Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes, by Robin Jones Gunn. I confess. My frivolous read in the last few months, my favorite fiction author. And I loved it.

Ask me if you want to borrow any of these great books!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I am impressed...lots of reading. You shouldn't feel guilty about reading a novel. You are a story lover and should enjoy stories without feeling guilty. And I would love to borrow any Robin Jones Gunn books you have. It has been way to long since I have read her stories!

Barb said...

You totally amaze me - You are an incredible mom, wife and friend to so many - always opening your home and lending a hand and now working and you still had time to read all these books. Wow. Thank you for sharing the wisdom God has given to you as you glean from these authors.

P.S. I am reading Sisterchicks, now!