A couple of days ago, I stood in front of a card display at the grocery store. I found a card for Erik from the girls, then chose one for him from me, then turned automatically to the section filled with "To Daddy from Daughter" cards. As I realized what I was doing, a sob caught in my throat. Oh, how I wish I could mail a card to Heaven! Wouldn't that be great, if we there was heavenly mail service? Like - the Angel Wing Express or something?
I am so blessed. My husband is an amazing dad. I love watching him play with our two daughters; I love watching his face light up when Elisa runs to hug him in the evening, or when Sadie giggles at his peek-a-boo game. I love his patience as he trains Elisa in God's ways, as he teaches her and disciplines her. I love him with all my heart, and there is no one in the world I would rather be partners in parenting with.
My dad was an amazing dad, too. There is no one in the world I would have rather have had for that job, either! I miss him so much, today. A weekend where we are supposed to remember and honor our fathers... and I can't tell him how much he means to me. We ate barbecued ribs tonight in his memory; that was Dad's traditional Father's Day dinner on the houseboat at Lake Powell. (Erik loves them, too.)
I realize these two amazing men are such wonderful fathers because they are led by their Heavenly Father. They turned their lives and their hearts over to God, and He taught them by His spirit and His word how to love their children. Thank you, Dad, for allowing God's love to flow through you to us. And, thank you, my sweet husband, for doing the same.
Happy Father's Day!
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment