Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thankfulness
















A few days ago, I pulled a patient's billing statement out of an envelope (I have been depositing my dad's payments since my mom moved in February) and a photocopied sheet fell out with the check and statement. I gasped when I saw my dad's messy scrawl - a scribbled note entitling the patient to 1/2 off his bill. I stared at it for a moment, and then I wept. Because I miss him so much. Because that little note, unknowingly left for me to find, was so indicative of my generous daddy. Because even though I ache to see him again, I am so thankful for who he was and who he remains in the memories of all of us who knew and loved him. He was giving, selfless, and kind. I could not have had a better dad. And that photocopied note sent in a benign payment envelope reminded me poignantly of his character.





Our friends Craig and Valerie, in Colorado, delivered a little boy on April 10. He is 10 weeks early and has a serious heart defect. He's on a ventilator, and they can touch him only at certain prescribed times. We have been praying for this little guy for weeks, and we are so glad he is thriving and growing even with so many strikes against him. His parents are full of faith and hope as they wait. You can see little Ethan up there... so tiny! As I remember his family, I am amazed at my own healthy daughters. Every time I hold my baby girls, I am reminded of what miracles their lives are... the way they are knit together perfectly, the way their bodies are whole, the way God designed each of them intricately and beautifully. I am thankful for them, too.



Amy and Forrest (my sis and brother-in-law) had their son on April 4, and Ephraim Alvis is another reason to praise God. We are thankful for his life! See his photo above? He is so cute - weighed in at 6 lb, 12 oz and with lots of hair!


I am learning that even pain points us to all the reasons we have to thank God. His mercy and goodness are following us all the days of our lives.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I was just talking to Amy today about your dad and how much he is missed, by everyone. Thank you for posting a reminder of what an amazing man he was.

Kat said...

It is good to hear a story of the simple little and yet extraordinary ways that your Dad is/was a Gr8 man. You have given him SO MANY reason for him to be proud, especially how you have been praising God through the pain. It speaks VOLUMES and VOLUMES of your Faith! Keep on Rockin' Sista!